Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bonus with our Buy!



A couple of weeks ago I went up north to visit a friend. As we were up there we went by a pet store that has tons of varieties of animals. I'd taken the kids there before and decided it would be fun to take them again. Well, once inside I remembered that I had a hamster cage and some accessories from one that I'd had a few years back. So I decided maybe it was time for the kids to have a little pet. We got some assistance from a girl that worked there and we picked out the smallest one. (They're dwarf hamsters so they're already really small.) It looked like maybe it had been picked on by the bigger ones cause its little ear had bites and scratches on it. Well we brought the little thing home. I forgot to have the lady at the store check it to see what sex it was and since it was gonna be an only pet I figured it didn't really matter, so I let Shayne pick. (weird, I know) So, after thinking for a minute, Shayne decided it was a boy and that his name was Wall-e (ya like the disney movie). Well, here's the fun part... we had "wall-e" about two weeks when I noticed he was getting really fat. I figured we were spoiling him and now that he wasn't the runt getting picked on he could get some food and get bigger. Proud of my little rescue, I put him back in the cage last week and went to bed. The next morning Matt and I were sitting in the living room talking when I heard a strange noise... I went into the kitchen on the fridge where Wall-e was in his cage and pulled the whole cage down to see what that noise was. Sure enough underneath a very scared little GIRL hamster was 5 little babies no bigger than a nickle each!!! Needless to say I googled hamster baby care, covered and put up the cage to give the new mama some privacy (she's a really nervous little mama), explained to Shayne what had happened, and she renamed the hamster Eve!!


P.S. we'll be looking for new homes for the babies in about 3-4 weeks... hint, hint!


I'll keep you all posted as they get bigger and less hideous! At least they're finally starting to get their fur.

2 comments:

Mike&JenFamily said...

That is hilarious! I'm glad it you and not me...you know how I am with animals. And NO...we don't want one of the babies!!! Love ya though!!

Jen said...

TOO funny!