Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lemons or lemonade?



I was talking to my friend yesterday and I was pointing out how she always takes the "lemons" in life and turns them to "lemonade". I made the comment that I needed to be better at that, along with lots of other things. However, a small opportunity came about this morning that gave me the chance to improve on this matter. As I was making breakfast I gave the kids yogurt to hold them over. I'm not sure what it is about yogurt, or applesauce, or even dips for that matter but something about them says to little kids "please use me as paint instead of food". This was the case this morning with the yogurt and despite my attempts to controll the situation it ended up in hair on clothes and there was a masterpiece on the table and even floor. A real work of art! This is the part that is kind of lemon-y. So I take a deep breath and open the back door and send the kids out while I try to clean up the mess. I'm aware that I still have to clean them off too when I remember the conversation just yesterday and the thought hits me that maybe scrubbing them off with a wash cloth and mumbling words of bitterness isn't the only option here. Instead I filled up the kiddie pool in the backyard, put on swimsuits and showed the kids their first water fight. The kids had such a blast and Shayne even got pretty good at getting me with the sqirtter. Thank heavens the Lord gives us little prompts each day to help us work toward becoming better people. And thanks Camille for being such an example to me!

3 comments:

Julie said...

your gaining so much wisdom, i really think you need to write a book! what a perfect opportunity to make lemonade and even still that you remembered that...i want to be more like you!

Mike&JenFamily said...

You really are amazing! I agree with Julie, you really do need to write a book. You are also such a great mom and we all wish we had a little of Laurel in our daily "motherhood." I'm glad that you're feeling better. Miss and love you guys. See you in a week!

Athack77 said...

I'm impressed. You have a job that's twice as hard as the rest of us and you still have courage to try and improve yourself to. Personally, I think you've been making lemonade for a very long time. Never forget how loved you are by many of us, not just Chris & I!